savory navy beans
Savory navy beans are a delicious, one pot meal that can be on the table in less than an hour. Make them vegan or not - either way they are sure to please.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 large onion diced
- 1-2 large shallots diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices bacon diced (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 15 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups dry navy beans - cooked or 3 15 oz cans of navy beans
- 2 big sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6-8 sprigs of fresh Italian parsley about 1 cup, chopped
- 1/2-1 tsp crushed chili
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
If cooking dry beans, add the bay leaves to the cooking liquid.
Add oil to a pot large enough to hold all the ingredients. If using the bacon, fry it in the oil, then proceed with the recipe.
Gently saute the onion and shallot until translucent and soft.
Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, rosemary, thyme and bay if you didn't cook the beans with the bay.
Stir in the stock and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Mix in the parsley, lemon juice and crushed chili.
Simmer 5-10 minutes.
Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve in bowls drizzled with your best olive oil if you like.