kachumber - indian tomato and cucumber salad
Kachumber is a great salad waiting to be discovered. It makes a great accompaniment to an Indian meal but it's great just on it's own or mixed with a bit of quinoa.
- 1/2 white onion - coarsely diced
- 3-4 tomatoes - diced
- 1/2 large cucumber - diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves - minced
- 2 Tbsp mint - minced
- 1/4 tsp kashmiri mild chili powder - or a pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 green finger hot chilies - or 1/2 jalapeño, minced
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice - about 1/3 of a lemon
- salt to taste
Run the chopped white onion under cold running water for about 10 seconds. This mellows out the bite of the onion. A mesh strainer works well.
Add about 3/4 tsp of salt to the tomatoes and place in the strainer over a bowl. Let stand for about 20 minutes to let liquid drain. Use these two tricks when you make salsa. It works.
Combine the onion, tomato and the rest of the ingredients together and toss with the dressing. Taste and adjust for salt.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 47kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 80mg | Potassium: 71mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.2mg