lamb or beef keema
This lamb or beef keema is really an ingredient for dishes like keema matar or aloo keema. If you can't wait, it's also good with Indian flatbreads.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 12 oz minced beef or lamb
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom - whole, split (optional)
- 2 inch piece cassia bark - cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp garlic ginger paste - recipe link below
- 1/2 tsp kasoor methi - fenugreek leaves
- 2 tsp madras curry powder e.g Lalah's brand
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp tomato paste with enough water to dilute to the consistency of pasetta - dilute with water to the consistency of pasatta
- 2/3 cup water
Pre-heat your skillet over medium heat.
Add the oil. Once it starts to shimmer add the bay, cardamom and cassia. Cook until little bubbles form around the spices - about 30 seconds.
Stir in the kasoor methi, madras curry powder and salt.
Cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds.
Add the garlic ginger paste and cook until the sizzling subsides.
Mix in the tomato paste, stir to combine and cook about 30 seconds.
Add the beef or lamb, breaking up any chunks and cook until all the meat is brown.
Add the water and simmer for about 10 minutes until cooked through.
Spoon off most of the accumulated fat and reserve until ready to cook the keema matar.
Garlic ginger paste recipe can be found here.
Serving: 2servings | Calories: 576kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 749mg | Potassium: 550mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 1.3mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4.2mg