japadog style terimayo hot dogs
Japadog style terimayo hot dogs are not like any hot dog you have ever had. Think teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayo and fried onions.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 6 large hot dogs - whatever you like but big..
- 6 hot dog buns - better quality is better but you don't want a huge amount of bread so huge is not good.
- 3 cooking onions - sliced thin
- 6 tbsp Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise - more or less. You are drizzling to taste.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- shichimi togarashi - optional and to taste
- green onions, sesame seeds and nori - whatever works for you
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Combine all the ingredients except the cornstarch in your smaller sauce pan.
Bring to a simmer over medium low heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Simmer. If you go higher than a simmer you will boil it dry and you will not be happy. Best to keep an eye on it in any case.
Mix the cornstarch with a splash of water to form a slurry. Stir the slurry into the simmering teriyaki sauce. Simmer another 1-2 minutes until thickened. Cool. Set aside.
Fry the onions
No rocket science here. Pull out a big frying pan. Heat the oil over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook until they are a melting mess of tasty. Super soft. Reduced. Tasty, mushy delicious. That's what you are after. You will need to watch them. Sprinkle with a bit of shichimi togarashi if you like. This isn't critical - just another little something.
Assemble the Japadog terimayo hot dog
Serving: 6g | Calories: 470kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 1227mg | Potassium: 228mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 4.6mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 2.9mg