This is creamy, slightly spicy slaw that's perfect for Indian cookouts.
The coleslaw dressing
- 1/2 cup full fat yoghurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise I really like Hellmans
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper coarse grind
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder I use Keens
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice from a lemon, not a bottle
- 1 tbsp milk (optional) to thin if your yoghurt is really thick
- 1 tsp sugar - you can use a bit more if you like sweet but don't go crazy
- 1 small green cabbage sliced as thinly as you can
- 1/2 large spanish onion sliced as thinly as you can
- 2 carrots shredded (I use a cheese grater)
- 2 large jalapenos seeded and julienned
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt - or a little more to taste. 2 tsp table salt should be lots
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- a big handful of cilantro stems and leaves, finely chopped
- all the dressing from above
Make the coleslaw dressing
Combine all the coleslaw dressing ingredients except the milk.
Stir to thoroughly combine. If it looks really thick add a bit of milk to thin it out. You want thick but within reason. Taste. You might like a little more lemon. Up to you.
Make the Indian slaw
Prep your vegetables. Core and thinly slice the cabbage. Slice the onion. Julienne the jalapeno. Shred your carrots. Chop the cilantro.
Combine the vegetables in a large bowl. A really large bowl. Don't think I tossed this slaw in the bowl I show. I used the biggest bowl I own. It makes things way easier. Trust me on this one.
Sprinkle the salt and oil over the vegetables. Stir to combine. Good quality restaurant tongs are a real help here.
Add the dressing and the cilantro. Toss to fully coat the vegetables with the dressing. If it's really hard to do add a bit more milk next time.
Let rest in the fridge for four hours before serving. Overnight is even better.
Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 845mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2683IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg