japadog style terimayo hot dogs
Japadog style terimayo hot dogs are not like any hot dog you have ever had. Think teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayo and fried onions.
- 6 large hot dogs - whatever you like but big..
- 6 hot dog buns - better quality is better but you don't want a huge amount of bread so huge is not good.
- 3 cooking onions - sliced thin
- 6 tbsp Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise - more or less. You are drizzling to taste.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- shichimi togarashi - optional and to taste
- green onions, sesame seeds and nori - whatever works for you
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Combine all the ingredients except the cornstarch in your smaller sauce pan.
Bring to a simmer over medium low heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Simmer. If you go higher than a simmer you will boil it dry and you will not be happy. Best to keep an eye on it in any case.
Mix the cornstarch with a splash of water to form a slurry. Stir the slurry into the simmering teriyaki sauce. Simmer another 1-2 minutes until thickened. Cool. Set aside.
Fry the onions
No rocket science here. Pull out a big frying pan. Heat the oil over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook until they are a melting mess of tasty. Super soft. Reduced. Tasty, mushy delicious. That's what you are after. You will need to watch them. Sprinkle with a bit of shichimi togarashi if you like. This isn't critical - just another little something.
Assemble the Japadog terimayo hot dog
Serving: 6g | Calories: 470kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 1227mg | Potassium: 228mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 4.6mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 2.9mg