Duck fat roasted potatoes. Potatoes roasted in duck fat. Beautiful words indeed. A very simple tweak to a million recipes on the internet that changes everything. I don’t know of a better way to cook potatoes than in duck fat.
Butter – very tasty, olive oil and rosemary – very tasty, duck fat – freaking awesome. And there’s no excuse not to make them. Duck fat is not hard to find. Talk to your butcher.
The duck confit is done sous vide. I’d post the recipe but it’s internet standard. 167F for 12 hours. I froze these still in the vac pac, thawed them and broiled them. Once the smoke cleared and the fire alarm shut up dinner was great.
Duck fat potatoes. These are the the best french fries you've never had.
- Small new potatoes - from the farmer's market is off the scale but any will do
- Duck fat
- Pre-heat a heavy cookie sheet (one with sides) in a 400F oven (350-425F is fine - go with whatever your oven needs to be at for anything else you are cooking).
- Boil the potatoes in well salted water until just tender - about 15 minutes.
- Drain and press lightly on each potato individually to split the skin. This is the only real work in this recipe but it makes all the difference.
- Add duck fat to pre-heated cookie sheet (enough to make sure there will be fat to baste - like a tablespoon per 10 small potatoes.
- Spoon melted fat over the potatoes. Get some in the nooks and crannies.
- Roast them for around 10 minutes. Baste again - maybe shake them up to make sure they brown evenly. Another 10 minutes, baste and shake. Another 10 minutes, baste and shake.
- When you are happy with them remove from oven, transfer to a bowl and toss with salt to taste.That's it. It's that easy.