Three critical ingredients come together to make a really good cocktail sauce. Horseradish, pure chile powder and fresh lemon juice. Don’t use supermarket chili powder – it’s a mix of random ingredients. Splurge on a fresh jar of horseradish. It’s totally worth it. Try this – you’ll never use bottled cocktail sauce again. Serve it with foolproof shrimp cocktail.
classic cocktail sauce
- 1 cup good tomato ketchup
- 1 Tbsp prepared horseradish - get a new bottle. That old bottle in the back of the fridge will kill this recipe...
- 1 tsp pure chili powder - e.g New Mexican Red or Ancho
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or more to taste
- Combine all ingredients and let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.