Three critical ingredients come together to make a really good cocktail sauce. Horseradish, pure chile powder and fresh lemon juice. Don’t use supermarket chili powder – it’s a mix of random ingredients. Splurge on a fresh jar of horseradish. It’s totally worth it. Try this – you’ll never use bottled cocktail sauce again. Serve it with foolproof shrimp cocktail.
- 1 cup good tomato ketchup
- 1 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp pure chili powder - e.g New Mexican Red or Ancho
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
- Combine all ingredients and let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.