I love beans. And these savory navy beans are near the top of my list. Rosemary. Thyme. Parsley. Onions and garlic. Shallot. What’s not to love? I also love how the house smells when I cook this. It’s a meal in a bowl. A stew really. Nourishing. Satisfying. Just good.
It flips from vegan to not with two ingredients. Make it vegan or add the optional bacon and chicken stock and it will satisfy the most carnivorous palate. It isn’t even that much bacon. Just a hint really. Less than a slice per serving. Even with the bacon it’s pretty healthy. It’s gluten free too. Not by design mind you. It just worked out that way.
It’s easy too. If you use canned beans you can get these savory navy beans on the table in about 40 minutes. Most of that time is simmering time. Walk away from the stove time. Leftovers make great lunches too. It reheats nicely in a microwave. If it sounds good to you, try it. I think you’ll like it. You may even love it. I do.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1-2 large shallots, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, diced (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 15 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups of dry navy beans, cooked or 3 15 oz cans of navy beans
- 2 big sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6-8 sprigs of fresh Italian parsley (about 1 cup), chopped
- ½-1 tsp crushed chili
- Juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- If cooking dry beans, add the bay leaves to the cooking liquid.
- Add oil to a pot large enough to hold all the ingredients. If using the bacon, fry it in the oil, then proceed with the recipe.
- Gently saute the onion and shallot until translucent and soft.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, rosemary, thyme and bay if you didn't cook the beans with the bay.
- Stir in the stock and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Mix in the parsley, lemon juice and crushed chili.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve in bowls drizzled with your best olive oil if you like.