Spinach salad with strawberries and poppyseed dressing. One of those fruity salads that I don’t usually go for. I’m more into fresh greens and a mustard vinaigrette. But this one is really good. The creaminess of the avocado against the bright strawberries and the tangy sweet dressing. It just works.
It’s a celebration of strawberries. Don’t make this when strawberries are out of season.Please. Make it when they are at their peak. When strawberries taste sweet and the juices run down your chin. That’s when it’s time to make spinach salad with strawberries and poppyseed dressing.
It’s incredibly simple to make. And you can do it all pretty much in advance. Cut the avocados before you serve. Other than that make it all ahead of time. Makes it great for dinner parties. Zero cooking time. Flashy starter. Perfect.
It’s called spinach salad with strawberries and poppyseed dressing. Doesn’t mean it has to be exactly that. Mix it up. Pine nuts work. Walnuts too. Ditch the strawberries and add bacon and egg. Change up the cheese. Have fun with it. Make it your own.
Spinach salad with strawberries and poppyseed dressing is a bright and tasty salad. It's the perfect dinner party starter when strawberries are at their peak.
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 or 2 large ripe avocados , chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped and rinsed under cold water
- a handful of honey roasted almonds - you can use whatever nuts you like
- 2 cups strawberries - halved or quartered - depends on the size of the berry
- 4 tbsp feta - crumbled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 shallot grated on a microplane
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients except the oil. Stir to combine. You want the sugar mostly dissolved in the vinegar.
- Drizzle the oil in while stirring.
- Let the dressing sit for a while to let the poppy seeds hydrate.
Combine the salad ingredients and toss with about half the dressing. Taste and adjust the dressing to suit your palate. I like a bit more than half. You may like more.