Spinach and potato curry. Simple. Vegan. Spinach, potatoes and Indian spices. Delicious. It makes a great vegetable accompaniment to any Indian dinner.
I love potatoes. More than rice even. I know. That’s odd. But it’s true. Don’t get me wrong. I like rice. But I love potatoes. So a spinach and potato curry does it for me.
This is a simple take on it. Some spice. Some potatoes. Aromatics. And spinach. It comes together fast. It’s easy. But it’s tasty.
Whole spices make spinach and potato curry
Don’t be afraid of the whole spices in this dish. They are small. Little flavour bombs. Not like whole cardamom or cloves. You can just eat them.
Blooming them in a little oil adds big flavour. Classic Indian technique really. Fry the spices in oil. Now you have spice infused oil. That oil carries the flavour throughout the dish. Delicious everywhere.
This recipe uses a bit of Indian restaurant curry base but it’s not critical. If you don’t have any curry base just use water. Or vegetable broth. Nothing to it really.
Par-boil some potatoes, fry up some spices and onion, mix it all together and cook briefly. Easy. And you can make it ahead of time.
Try this when you are cooking serving up an Indian dinner sometime. It’s a little different. But it’s really tasty.
spinach and potato curry
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion minced
- 1 red finger chili seeded and chopped (this is not a super hot chili so be careful what you use)
- 1 tsp whole mustard seed
- 1 tsp whole cumin seed
- 1 Tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 2 tsp indian restaurant spice mix or any mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz curry base you can substitute a bit of water here
- 1 lb small new potatoes
- 1/2 lb baby spinach coarsely chopped
- Pre-cook the potatoes in boiling salted water. Set aside.
- Coarsely chop the spinach.
- Heat a saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients over medium low heat.
- Add the oil. When it starts to shimmer, add the cumin and mustard seed and cook until they start to barely crackle.
- Add the oil and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Mix in the garlic ginger paste and cook another minute or so.
- Stir in the red chili, indian restaurant spice mix (or curry powder), turmeric and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 to 45 seconds. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the water or curry base and cook about 30 seconds. Mix in the chopped spinach and potatoes and cover. Cook until the the spinach is wilted and potatoes are hot.
4 thoughts on “spinach and potato curry”
I would like to do this curry for my vegetarian wife, was wondering if I could use the hotel gravy instead of the normal base, she doesn’t like it to hot, so would probably leave out the red chili 🌶. What would you recommend.many thanks. Bob.
It would work I think. It will be a little more flavourful from the hotel gravy but that is never a bad thing!
I’ve made this curry and it’s delicious (again) another wonderful dish. But would it work if I added a little Makhani gravy?
Thanks you as always
I don’t actually know but I imagine the addition of the makhani gravy would push it to something altogether new – but likely delicious. I haven’t really played around with spinach and tomato flavours together. Only one way to find out!