Sag aloo. Spinach and potato curry. Simple. Vegan. Spinach, potatoes and Indian spices. Delicious. It makes a great vegetable accompaniment to any Indian dinner.
This recipe uses a bit of Indian restaurant curry base but it’s not critical. If you don’t have any curry base just use water. Or vegetable broth. Nothing to it really. Par-boil some potatoes, fry up some spices and onion, mix it all together and cook briefly. Easy. And you can make it ahead of time.
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion minced
- 1 red finger chili seeded and chopped (this is not a super hot chili so be careful what you use)
- 1 tsp whole mustard seed
- 1 tsp whole cumin seed
- 1 Tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 2 tsp indian restaurant spice mix or any mild curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz curry base you can substitute a bit of water here
- 1 lb small new potatoes
- 1/2 lb baby spinach coarsely chopped
- Pre-cook the potatoes in boiling salted water. Set aside.
- Coarsely chop the spinach.
- Heat a saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients over medium low heat.
- Add the oil. When it starts to shimmer, add the cumin and mustard seed and cook until they start to barely crackle.
- Add the oil and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Mix in the garlic ginger paste and cook another minute or so.
- Stir in the red chili, indian restaurant spice mix (or curry powder), turmeric and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 to 45 seconds. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the water or curry base and cook about 30 seconds. Mix in the chopped spinach and potatoes and cover. Cook until the the spinach is wilted and potatoes are hot.