Fettuccine with andouille creole cream sauce. Big cajun flavour. Sometimes you just don’t have time to cook. 20 minutes to get dinner on the table. It doesn’t have to suck. Restaurants cook your dinner quickly. You can too.
Have the ingredients on hand. Chop a couple red peppers. Crush some garlic. Boil some pasta. That’s about it. Fry it up, toss the pasta in the cream sauce and serve.
In a little more time than it takes to make a peanut butter sandwich, dinner is on the table. Fettuccine with creole andouille cream sauce is better than a peanut butter sandwich though. I promise.
There’s a bit of wisdom in this recipe that you should seriously consider applying whenever you make pasta. It’s simple. And it’s a good tip.
Finish cooking your pasta in the sauce. Add a bit of pasta cooking water to the sauce if it gets too thick. It’s all about getting the sauce to coat the pasta.
This is not my opinion. It’s the opinion of really smart people who know stuff about food. Google it. Serious Eats. The Kitchn. Cook’s Illustrated. Even Rachel Ray is on board. Strive to be better than Olive Garden. It’s really not that hard.
fettuccine with andouille creole cream sauce
- 2-3 andouille sausages - you can substitute kielbasa but it's not the same
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño finely minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream (35% milk fat)
- 12 oz fettuccine
- salt to taste - start with 1/2 tsp
- Cook the fettuccine in well salted water about one minute less than the directions specify. You can cook the pasta while you make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a skillet large enough to hold the sauce and pasta.
- Add the sausage and red pepper and cook until the sausage is brown and the pepper is soft, around 3-4 minutes
- Mix in the garlic, jalapeño and creole seasoning. Cook about one minute. Don't let the spices burn.
- Add the tomato paste, stir and cook another minute.
- Stir in the cream and bring to a simmer.
- Taste and adjust the salt before you add the pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta, stir to combine and cook about 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.