Chorizo potatoes. This is a riff on patatas bravas – one of the most famous tapas dishes of all time. It’s famous for a reason. It’s really good. But jack up the flavour with some chorizo. Drizzle it with some homemade aioli or garlic mayonnaise. That’s great.
It’s a funny thing about the chorizo. You need to cook it to death for this to work. Seriously. It’s completely counter-intuitive. Somewhere along the way it goes from bits of sausage to these little nubbins of concentrated flavour. Sausage flavour bombs. I don’t really understand why. But it works. Taste it along the way. You’ll see.
Don’t be scared about making aioli. It’s not hard. A small food processor makes it a snap. Coddle an egg. Pulse with a few other ingredients. Drizzle in some oil. Done. Delicious.
Potatoes with chorizo. This is tapas times ten.
- 1 lb small new potatoes, cut in big bite size pieces.
- 8 oz spanish chorizo sausage diced
- 1 or more large shallot, sliced thinly - go with your instincts. You won't go wrong...
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (hot or mild)
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, well crushed
- An egg yolk (coddle your egg if safety is a concern)
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 1 Tbsp of plus ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a small food processor or blender combine the egg yolk, garlic, sherry vinegar, lemon juice and one Tbsp olive oil. Pulse a couple times.
- Mix the olive oil and vegetable oil in a container well suited to drizzling. A measuring cup or drinking glass is not the answer here... You will curse.
- Run the processor continuously while drizzling in the oil. You are making mayonnaise. It will thicken up nicely.
- Add the salt and taste. If it's not quite right add a bit more salt or lemon. Your call.
- Pre-heat your oven to 375F.
- Boil the potatoes in well salted water until a knife slides into a potato easily. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the chorizo and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the shallot and cook until soft, another minute or so.
- Now add the potatoes and mix until the potatoes are well coated with oil. Sprinkle them with paprika and season with salt.
- Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Stir and roast another 10 minutes.
- Serve with aioli on the side or drizzled overtop or both.