Warm potato salad is a delicious alternative to more traditional creamy approaches. It’s a little more sophisticated. Perfect when dinner is a little fancier than burgers and hotdogs.
Don’t get me wrong. I love a good creamy potato salad loaded with bits of egg and pickle. That’s hard to beat, in fact. But it doesn’t always match the menu.
Creamy potato salad is a bit of a sledge hammer side. Strong. Assertive. In your face.
Warm potato salad is an upscale version
Warm potato salad with bacon and coarse mustard is a more refined take on potato salad. Chill. Confident. A bit understated. But totally awesome.
It’s goes beautifully with grilled steak or chicken. Or even with roast chicken. Pork chops. Fish. It’s at home with just about anything you would serve with roast or boiled potatoes.
You can riff on the concept as well. Sometimes I do warm potato salad with a regular dijon mustard vinaigrette instead of coarse. Leave out the bacon. Bit heavier on the shallots. It’s very nice too. Variation on a theme. Vegetarian option as well.
Lots of different ways you can dress up warm potato salad
You could spice it up as well. A bit of cayenne along with the pepper would add zing. A mix of lemon and vinegar mixes things up as well.
There aren’t a lot of ingredients here so this is one of those recipes where there’s nowhere to hide lousy ingredients.
Decent mustard. Wine or sherry vinegar. Fresh chives. Good shallots. Top quality bacon. Not much to this so use the best ingredients you can get.
Warm potato salad with bacon and coarse mustard. For when you need upscale potato salad.
Warm potato salad with bacon and coarse mustard
- 1 Tbsp coarse mustard - Pommery is nice if you can get it
- 2 tsp wine vinegar - sherry, red or white in that order
- 3 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- a few grinds ground pepper
- 1 lb small new potatoes - whole
- 1 large shallot - thinly sliced (1/3 cup or so)
- 3 slices bacon - cooked and diced
- fresh chives - to taste
- salt - to taste
- Combine the mustard and wine vinegar.
- Drizzle in the oil, stirring constantly. The oil should emulsify into the mustard/wine vinegar mixture but if it doesn't it's not the end of the world.
- Add a few grinds of pepper and set aside.
- Boil the potatoes in well salted water until done. Done means a fork slides in with minimal resistance.
- Drain and let cool enough to handle.
- Cut the warm potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Toss potatoes, shallots and dressing. Let cool slightly.
- Add the bacon and chives, toss and serve.
2 thoughts on “Warm potato salad with bacon and coarse mustard”
I was looking for a side to go with salmon burgers.This totally hit the spot. We all loved the bacon, I will definitely make this again. I also made your Kachumber salad as an additional side and my family loved it. Thanks Romain!
My pleasure. Thank you for saying so! This one has long been a favourite around here. Something a little different from the regular potato salads.